DEFINING YOUR HOME
- Goal Budget:
- Goal Schedule:
Your Family and Friends
- List of family members (add children’s ages):
- Do you ever foresee extended family, aging parents, nanny or house manager moving in? Is there anyone with mobility issues (no steps)?
- How often do you entertain? What type of functions do you host? How many people attend? Consider the holidays.
- Does your family have any specific religious needs such as a kosher kitchen, kosher switches on appliances, a quiet sanctuary, a prayer room or meditation space, holiday decoration storage, a sink in the Dining Room?
- How do you foresee the flow of your home? Besides the usual adjacencies, what rooms must be connected or open?
- Do you typically enter the home from the Garage on a daily basis?
- Describe a typical weekday and weekend for your family at home. How do you envision spending your time in the home? How much time do you spend at home? Which rooms do you use the most?
Do you cook meals at home every night? Do you eat as a family? Who cooks?
Do you have game night? Do you watch movies, listen to music, or relax outside?
Do children do homework in their rooms? Or at the Dining Room Table?
Do you use computer stations or laptops? Where do you watch TV?
Does anyone have special hobbies (woodworking, sewing) or collections (dishes, books, art)?
Do you have any family pets?
Feel free to share any unique family events or traditions spent at home.
Feelings Evoked by Home
- What makes you think of home?
- In what type of home were you raised? What fond memories do you have of home?
- What Architectural Styles are you drawn to? (We can help you define this, but your photos of both interiors and exteriors are welcome as a great start.)
Traditional, contemporary or somewhere in between? Older or newer homes?
Are there any particular homes in your neighborhood you have always loved?
- List your top 5 priorities to be achieved in this home:
- List your top 5 Wish List items:
- What are some of the big drawbacks of your current living situation that you hope to resolve? Too small, rooms too isolated, high heating and cooling bills, poor flow?
- What are some of the little frustrations you encounter daily? For example, do you find yourself running up and down stairs to the Laundry Room, do you wish you had a Powder Room for guests, are you missing a spot to sit and remove shoes near the door?
Room-by-room needs (functional requirements, as well as how the room should feel)
- Front Porch (seating, covered, intimate or grand?):
- Entry/Foyer (coat closets, open to view, high ceilings, built-in bench or dresser?):
- Living Spaces (Open concept or clearly defined rooms, what do you use them for and how often, where do you watch TV, fireplaces, built-ins, French doors?):
Great Room (combination Dining and Living):
Library (or combination of Library with another room):
- Dining Room (table for how many? Built-in china cabinet, banquette, open to view, wet bar?):
Master Bedroom (separate seating area, TV, desk, fireplace, furniture needs?):
Master Closet (linear footage of hanging rods, number of drawers, shelves and shoes?):
Bedroom 1 (who uses the room, how often used, special features?):
- Bathrooms (indicate which bathrooms should be connected directly from bedrooms):
Sinks (how many, separate sink in toilet room?):
Toilets (how many, washlette, separate toilet room?):
Type of tub (free-standing, built-in, jets?):
Type of shower (how many shower heads, rainheads, body sprays, hand shower, bench?):
Linen closet, storage, make-up vanity, medicine cabinets, other needs:
Privacy (connection to Master Bedroom, window/daylight?):
Bathroom 1 (who uses this bathroom, special features?):
- Kitchen (what kitchen styles appeal to you, sleek and modern or traditional, stained wood or painted cabinetry?): Again, photos are welcome!
Features (Eat-in Kitchen, table for how many, banquette, booth, island, coffee station, desk?):
Plumbing (single or double bowl sink, veggie sink, instant hot water or filter, waste disposers?):
Range or cooktop with ovens, hood type, warming drawer, microwave:
Counter top units such as steamer, fryer, induction:
Refrigerator quantity and size, wine chiller:
Dishwashers, dish drawers:
Built-in coffee maker:
Pantry or Butler’s Pantry:
Approx. storage needs:
Attached to Kitchen and Dining or remote for bulk storage?:
Refrigerator, wine chiller or freezer:
Sink or dishwasher:
Cleaning supply closet (location?):
- Office/Den (quiet space or TV watching, built-in book shelves or desk, open to view or secluded?):
- Mudroom (built-in bench, shoe cubbies, boot drying rack recessed in floor, utility sink, attached laundry, dog wash, storage needs, attached pantry?):
- Laundry Room(s):
How many washers/dryers, undercounter, utility sink, drying area, storage needs:
Located on which floor, next to which rooms?:
Secondary (handy stackable near Master Bedroom or pool?):
- Playroom (specific games such as billiards, foosball or card table, project area with sink?):
- Media Room (low voltage system, acoustics and soundproofing, raised seating, large screen?):
- Exercise/Spa (located near which rooms, daylight, open to view or secluded, separate bathroom or shower, steam shower, sauna, massage table, access to outdoors, wet bar, specific machines, weights, yoga?):
- Wine Cellar (cellar or stand-alone chiller, number of bottles?):
- Storage (large remote storage room or integrated smaller closets throughout?):
- Security and Low Voltage (sound, media, automated shades, lighting scenes, security):
Do you prefer simple light switches in each room? Or do you envision a fully automated home?
Security (safe room, tempered glass at windows?):
- Garage (attached or detached, number of cars, approximate storage needs, generator, security windows, work bench, bike storage, lawn equipment, motorcycles?):
- Outdoors (Dining, Kitchen, grille, pool, reflecting pond, fire pit, pergola, play area?):
- How interested are you in Green building materials and methods? Are you interested in learning more?
- List the features that you absolutely love about your house?
- List the features that frustrate you. What areas are not working for you and your family?
- Are you concerned about current Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing systems in the house?
Please mention any items that may not have been listed above.
ABODE ARCHITECTS, LTD. 3309 CULVER STREET, EVANSTON, ILLINOIS 60201 847-309-7584